Health Insurance is a mandatory for all UCLA registered students. All students are automatically enrolled in UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) and may waive enrollment if they already have health insurance.
Campus Medical Care Assistance Fund (CMCAF)
The UC SHIP Reserve Fund Investment Committee (RFIC) granted funds to UCLA for distribution. Eligible students can receive a grant to assist them in paying their out-of-pocket medical expenses that exceed $500 up to $3,000.
Dental and Vision claims are not eligible for CMCAF.
The following services are available for assistance, but services must be medically necessary:
Applicant Eligibility Requirements:
- Currently enrolled in UC SHIP (Student or Dependent)
- Enrolled for at least one (Quarter or Semester) before the date(s) of the medical service
- Medical service date(s) must be during the 2021-2022 plan year.
- Out-of-Pocket Medical service(s) must exceed $500
- Good financial standing with UCLA (no BruinBill account balance)
- Only medically necessary services are eligible for grant consideration
- The student must have exhausted all other means of payment with proof of applying for Charity Care with the servicing provider(s). If your provider does not offer Charity Care, please provide a letter or e-mail from them indicating they do not offer Charity Care.
Eligible Services (Medically Necessary Only)
- Outpatient Surgery
- In-patient care*
- Out-patient care*
- Hospice Care
- Physician/Surgeon Services
- Diagnostic Testing
- Imaging Services (MRI/CT/PET Scans)
- Emergency Medical Transportation
- Durable Medical Equipment
- Childbirth/Delivery Professional Services
- Childbirth/Delivery Facility Services
- Skilled Nursing
*includes mental health/substance abuse.
Students must complete, sign and submit their CMCAF application with the below documentation:
- Copy of Explanation of Benefits (EOB) from Anthem
- Copy of the bill from the provider of service indicating the student’s/dependent’s outstanding balance.
- The written response to your request for Charity Care from the medical provider of service.
All applications must be securely e-mailed to Insurance Office for consideration:
Decisions will be delivered via email within 5 business days of submission. For questions, please contact our Insurance Office at 310-825-4073 (Option 4).