Vending Machine & Collection Bin Locations
- Pauley Pavilion NW Area
- Facilities Management NW Area (Employee Only)
- Ackerman Union SW Entrance
- Anderson School Courtyard
- Haines Hall West Entrance
- Law School Courtyard
- Murphy Hall (Room 1104, near Dean of Students Office)
- La Kretz Hall SE Area
- Neuroscience Research West Entrance
- CHS Store Courtyard *
- CHS South & Switzer Plaza
- Ackerman Union A Level *
- Melnitz Hall Vending Area (South)
*Designates an indoor location, available only during business hours.
Kit Distribution Center & Collection Bin Locations
- Arthur Ashe Student Health & Wellness Center Entrance
- Bradley Hall
- Sproul Hall - Front Desk
- Rieber Hall - Front Desk
- Hedrick Hall - Front Desk
- DeNeve Hall - Front Desk
- Wilshire Center
- Gayley Center Front Desk
- Hammer Museum Front Desk
- Weyburn Terrace Apartments
Self-Testing for COVID-19
Self-Testing Using New Vending Machines on Campus
Anyone with an active BruinCard can receive up to two self-test kits each week using the vending machines available on campus. BruinCards automatically receive a weekly credit to be used to purchase COVID-19 tests from these dedicated machines. Credits will not be valid at any other vending machines or for any other use.
Indoor/ Outdoor Locations
Please note: While the majority of the COVID self-test vending machine locations are available 24/7 in outdoor areas, the Murphy Hall, CHS Courtyard, and Ackerman Union A-Level machines are located indoors and only accessible during business hours. Please plan accordingly.
Important Items to Remember
Self-test vending machines accept only BruinCard.
Free testing is available only for faculty, staff and students at this time.
A smart device (phone, iPad) with the ability to receive SMS text messages is required to use the self-test vending option.
Important Note: We ask that you please step away from the vending machines to complete your COVID self test in a remote area to employ proper social distancing. You can return your completed sample to any collection bin on campus, so consider grabbing your test and returning it later in the day. This will help manage crowd control near the vending machine locations.
Vending machines for COVID self-testing are NOT intended for individuals who are symptomatic.
If you are symptomatic:
Any staff member experiencing COVID symptoms should contact the COVID Call Center before arriving to campus to initiate any COVID testing. Students can log into the Patient Portal to request a COVID test.
For Assistance or Questions
Those with questions are encouraged to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Self-Test Process and What to Expect
Once a test sample has been completed, it may be deposited in any of the marked collection bins, which are located adjacent to the vending machines.
Test samples should be deposited within one hour of taking the test in order to maintain proper temperature.
Individuals depositing test samples before 11 a.m. can expect results within 24-36 hours, while those depositing samples after 11 a.m. can expect results within 48 hours.
Additional Processing Time
Please be aware that a small percentage of samples may require re-testing during processing, resulting in a delay of (1) additional business day before results are returned. Participants can be assured we continue to work with our lab partners to deliver test results as quickly as possible to our Bruin community.
Important Note(s) on Specimen Dropoff
- Specimens dropped off after 11am may not get collected and processed until the next business day.
- Samples dropped off on Friday after 11am may not be resulted until Monday evening.
Testing for Travel Clearance
The no-cost testing paid for by UCLA was not implemented to provide documentation for domestic/international travel. If you need a COVID test to certify for travel, we recommend finding a community lab that will complete testing within the timeframe needed, and provide a certificate for travel.
If you need a test urgently or for travel by a specific date, we recommend scheduling an additional, backup test -- as sometimes tests come back inconclusive.
COVID Testing Announcements
New updates in effect to the UC COVID Vaccination policy, as of 8/31/21.
Effective immediately, unvaccinated individuals working, learning or living on campus or other UCLA property are required to participate in twice weekly testing. Testing for vaccinated asymptomatic individuals who have verified their vaccination status is no longer required, although they are highly encouraged to test at least once per week.Required: Daily Symptom Monitoring
Daily symptom monitoring is still required by Cal/OSHA for faculty, staff and student workers who are coming to campus and other UCLA properties, regardless of vaccination status.
Vending Machine Tutorial
How to Swipe your BruinCard
Step-by-Step Vending Instructions
- Self-test vending machines accept only BruinCard. To ensure your BruinCard is active, visit the BruinCard office or log into your account online.
- Swipe your BruinCard with the magnetic stripe facing inward, toward the digital screen.
- After swiping successfully, the screen will display: $1.00 credit. Select a letter/number combination to vend your test kit (Example: B6).
- Take your test kit and clear the vending machine area to ensure other individuals are able to use the machine while you are completing your test kit.
- Read and follow the instructions provided in your kit and make sure you register your test kit using the QR code provided.
- Once completed, drop your test kit into the collection bin near the vending machine.
Having issues with a certain vending machine? See the interactive map above for other machine locations, visit a distribution center, or the in-person testing center located at 300 Bradley Hall.
Having issues with your BruinCard? Contact the BruinCard office directly.
Have a question for the Exposure Management Team? Contact them directly via email.
In-Person Testing Available at 300 Bradley Hall
300 Bradley Hall
* 300 Bradley Hall is the final remaining in-person testing location on campus.
* The hours for this location are 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday each week.
* Please contact the Exposure Management Team for questions regarding COVID-19 testing at email@example.com.
How to Self Test Using a Saliva-Based Test
Steps 1-5: Preparing for your sample
Read all printed instructions included in your COVID test kit thoroughly and completely before proceeding.
Steps 6-10: Collecting and returning your sample
STEP 10 - Return your sample to a designated collection bin
Collection bins are located near every vending machine. See the interactive map above for more information.