UCSHIP has a lot to offer you. Take a look at the UCSHIP Student Brochure to learn more about the full range of benefits available to students with a UCSHIP policy.

Contact Academic Health Plans (AHP)

Academic Health Plans

Academic HealthPlans (AHP) handles enrollment of the Voluntary UC SHIP and Dependent Care. Contact AHP directly for questions or concerns related to enrollment, application deadlines, and/or coverage dates.

Contact AHP

Academic Health Plans
Phone: 855-428-0727
E-mail: ucship@ahpservice.com

Voluntary UCSHIP

Non-registered students enrolled in the Voluntary UC SHIP Plan will have the same benefits as registered UC SHIP students and must follow the same policy and referral requirements.

Enrollees must come to the Ashe Center for their medical needs and a referral will be written if it is medically necessary and we cannot provide the medical treatment. Non-registered students purchasing the voluntary plan will continue to have their behavioral health services through UCLA Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) and UCLA Behavioral Health Services (BHS) with a CAPS referral.

Non-Registered students and dependents are not automatically enrolled. Dependents of eligible non-registered students also have the opportunity to enroll in the voluntary plan.

Voluntary UCSHIP Enrollment

Voluntary UCSHIP Enrollment Eligibility

  • All former graduated students (undergraduate & graduate) of UCLA are allowed to enroll for one semester/quarter upon graduation if they were enrolled in UC SHIP the prior term.
  • All non-registered graduate “Filing Fee Status” students of UCLA who are completing work under the auspices of the University of California, but are not attending classes. Students on filing fee status may purchase Plan coverage for a maximum of one semester or quarter if they were enrolled in UCSHIP the prior term.
  • All non-registered graduate students of UCLA who are on a planned educational leave or approved leave of absence may purchase plan coverage of a maximum of one semester or two quarters if they were enrolled in UCSHIP the prior term.

Voluntary UCSHIP Enrollment

Enroll in Continuation, Filing Fee, or Leave of Absence for yourself and your dependents.

Enrollment in Voluntary UC SHIP is subject to eligibility verification by the Insurance Services Office. Verification can take five (5) to ten (10) business days from date of submission through the Enroll Now link below.

Enroll Now


Dependent Care

Undergraduate, graduate and professional students enrolled in UC SHIP have the option to enroll eligible dependents an insurance plan. The plan provides Anthem Blue Cross PPO medical insurance with the option to purchase Dental and Vision benefits.

AHP manages enrollment of dependents and the collection of insurance premiums on behalf of Anthem Blue Cross.

Are you expecting? More information about Anthem’s Future Mom Program through UCSHIP.

If you are an Academic Student Employee (ASE) or Graduate Student Researchers (GSR), use the Child Dependent Health Insurance Attestation Form to receive payment pursuant to the collective bargaining agreements. Once completed, please return the completed form to your department administrator for processing instructions.

Dependent Care Enrollment

Dependent Care Enrollment Eligibility

Dependents are required to provide proof of dependent status; the following documents will be accepted:

  • For spouse, a marriage certificate
  • For same-sex/opposite-sex domestic partner, a Declaration of Domestic Partnership issued by the state of California or another country or state jurisdiction
  • For a biological child under the age of 26, a birth certificate showing the student is the parent of the child
  • For stepchild, a birth certificate, and a marriage certificate showing that one of the parents listed on the birth certificate is married to the student
  • For adopted or foster child, documentation from the placement agency showing that the student has the legal right to control the child’s health care
  • For child eligible by court order, provide court documents which direct that the child will be covered under the insurance plan of the noncustodial parent

Dependent Care Enrollment

This option is available for registered students who are campus billed and would like to add dependents to the plan.

Enroll Dependents Now


Qualifying Life Event (QLE)

Students and/or eligible dependents may enroll in UC SHIP during the coverage period if they experience a Qualifying Life Event

Students who have a Qualifying Life Event during a coverage period must notify the Insurance Services Office within 31 days of the loss of their coverage and provide an official written letter of termination from their insurance carrier. The student will be enrolled in UC SHIP as of the date of their involuntary loss of other coverage if notification is received within 31 days of the loss of their coverage. If notification is not received within that 31-day period, coverage will be effective on the date on which the student pays the full UC SHIP premium.

Qualifying Life Event Enrollment Eligibility

The following events are considered Qualifying Life Events:

  • Involuntary loss of other health insurance coverage
  • Turn 26 and lose coverage as a dependent on a parent's plan
  • Marriage or divorce
  • Birth or adoption of a child*
  • Declaration or termination of a Domestic Partnership

*Newborns of enrolled UC SHIP members (students, eligible spouse, or domestic partner) are covered for the first 31 days after birth, provided Anthem is notified within this time period. For coverage beyond the first 31 days after birth, the newborn must be enrolled in UC SHIP as a dependent within 31 days of birth.

Registered students who are enrolling dependents by QLE (birth/adoption of a new child, marriage, entry to the US) within the last 30 days can use the QLE Enrollment Form below.

Qualifying Life Event Enrollment Form

Alternate Insurance Resources

View our alternative insurance resource guide for additional options for health coverage. These options are not endorsed by the university in any way but are offered as a courtesy for our students.