Contact Academic Health Plans (AHP)
Academic Health Plans
Academic HealthPlans (AHP) handles enrollment of the Voluntary UC SHIP and Dependent Care. Contact AHP directly for questions or concerns related to enrollment, application deadlines, and/or coverage dates.
Non-registered students enrolled in the Voluntary UC SHIP Plan will have the same benefits as registered UC SHIP students and must follow the same policy and referral requirements.
Enrollees must come to the Ashe Center for their medical needs and a referral will be written if it is medically necessary and we cannot provide the medical treatment. Non-registered students purchasing the voluntary plan will continue to have their behavioral health services through UCLA Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) and UCLA Behavioral Health Services (BHS) with a CAPS referral.
Non-Registered students and dependents are not automatically enrolled. Dependents of eligible non-registered students also have the opportunity to enroll in the voluntary plan.
Voluntary UC SHIP Premium Fees 2021-22
Voluntary UCSHIP Enrollment
Voluntary UCSHIP Enrollment Eligibility
- All former graduated students (undergraduate & graduate) of UCLA are allowed to enroll for one semester/quarter upon graduation if they were enrolled in UC SHIP the prior term.
- All non-registered graduate “Filing Fee Status” students of UCLA who are completing work under the auspices of the University of California, but are not attending classes. Students on filing fee status may purchase Plan coverage for a maximum of one semester or quarter.
- All non-registered graduate students of UCLA who are on a planned educational leave or approved leave of absence may purchase plan coverage of a maximum of one semester or two quarters.
- Concurrent Status for non-matriculating students.
Voluntary UCSHIP Enrollment
Enroll in Continuation, Filing Fee, or Leave of Absence for yourself and your dependents.
Voluntary UCSHIP Cost Sheets
Undergraduate, graduate and professional students enrolled in UC SHIP have the option to enroll eligible dependents an insurance plan. The plan provides Anthem Blue Cross PPO medical insurance with the option to purchase Dental and Vision benefits.
AHP manages enrollment of dependents and the collection of insurance premiums on behalf of Anthem Blue Cross.
Are you expecting? More information about Anthem’s Future Mom Program through UCSHIP.
Dependent Care Premium Fees 2021-22
|Partner of Student||Per Quarter||Per Semester|
|Undergraduate (Medical Only)||$2,390.33||N/A|
|Undergraduate (Medical, Dental and Vision)||$2,460.55||N/A|
|Graduate (Medical Only)||$2,613.00||$3,919.50|
|Graduate (Medical, Dental and Vision)||$2,708.12||$4,062.17|
|Child(ren) of Student|||||
|Undergraduate (Medical Only)||$2,067.33||N/A|
|Undergraduate (Medical, Dental and Vision)||$2,136.43||N/A|
|Graduate (Medical Only)||$2,259.33||$3,389.00|
|Graduate (Medical, Dental and Vision)||$2,355.44||$3,533.16|
|Partner + Child(ren) of Student|||||
|Undergraduate (Medical Only)||$4,329.33||N/A|
|Undergraduate (Medical, Dental and Vision)||$4,455.51||N/A|
|Graduate (Medical Only)||$4,736.00||$7,104.00|
|Graduate (Medical, Dental and Vision)||$4,915.75||$7,373.63|
Dependent Care Enrollment Eligibility
Dependents are required to provide proof of dependent status; the following documents will be accepted:
- For spouse, a marriage certificate
- For same sex domestic partner, a declaration of independent partnership issued by the state of California
- For a natural child under the age of 26, a birth certificate showing the student is the parent of the child.
Dependent Care Enrollment
This option is available for registered students who are campus billed and would like to add dependents to the plan.
Dependent Care Cost Sheets
Qualifying Life Event (QLE)
Students and/or eligible dependents may enroll in UC SHIP during the coverage period if they experience a Qualifying Life Event
Students who have a Qualifying Life Event during the coverage period must notify the insurance office on their campus within 31 days of the loss of their coverage. The student must provide an official written letter of termination from the previous health insurance carrier. The student will be enrolled in UC SHIP as of the date of their involuntary loss of other coverage if notification is received within 31 days of the loss of their coverage. If notification is not received within that 31-day period, coverage will be effective on the date on which the student pays the full UC SHIP premium.
Qualifying Life Event Enrollment Eligibility
The following events are considered Qualifying Life Events:
- Involuntary loss of other health insurance coverage
- Turn 26 and lose coverage as a dependent on a parent's plan
- Marriage or divorce
- Birth or adoption of a child*
- Declaration or termination of a Domestic Partnership
*Newborns of enrolled UC SHIP members (students, eligible spouse, or domestic partner) are covered for the first 31 days after birth, provided Anthem is notified within this time period. For coverage beyond the first 31 days after birth, the newborn must be enrolled in UC SHIP as a dependent within 31 days of birth.
Alternate Insurance Resources
View our alternative insurance resource guide for additional options for health coverage. These options are not endorsed by the university in any way but are offered as a courtesy for our students.